libstat status 6 & 7

Gabor PALI pgj at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 22 19:06:54 UTC 2009

Hello there,

In the last two weeks, in conjunction with my mentor, I have
rescheduled my work plan after the mid-term evaluations and started to
focus on the design and implementation of the libnetstat(3) library
only.  This decision was partially indicated by that Ulf Lilleengen
(lulf@) has already started to work on a libprocstat(3) library
independently of my efforts, and we found that it would be more
beneficial to finish libnetstat(3) for now.  I contacted lulf@ and
offered my help and experiences in working on libprocstat(3) later on.

The modified work plan that covers a possible schedule to this goal
can be found on my wiki page [1].  Note that beside finishing
libnetstat(3), it also features an integration with bsnmpd(1), and
some plans for future improvements are added.

According to this, the followings items have been completed since the
last status report:
- Modify snmp_mibII module of bsnmp(1) to call libnetstat(3) functions
for enumerating TCP and UDP connections.
- Add support for passing statistics on mbuf(9) values, including
sysctl(8) variables (netstat_mbuf()).
- Improve the nettop utility, so user can switch between different
- Add support for enumeration of available network interfaces
(netstat_interface()), with no sysctl(8) support (well, it might
require to learn ifmib(4) as a comment in the netstat(1) sources
suggests), and I am working on its netstat(1) integration at the
moment.
- I still owe Robert an abstraction for sessions -- that would prepare
libnetstat(3) to support monitoring of virtualized network stacks :)

Cheers,
:g

[1] http://wiki.freebsd.org/PGJSoC2009