libstat status 5

Gabor PALI pgj at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jul 6 17:28:17 UTC 2009

Hello there,

In the last week, I studied the methods that libmemstat(3) uses for
extraction of information from kernel memory images, and refined such
routines of libnetstat, so it is now working for images with the same
word sizes as the running system.  At the moment, there is no support
for different word sizes, however it might be added later on.

Robert Watson suggested me to test libnetstat's functionality between a
64-bit kernel and a 32-bit userland.  I set up a 64-bit system with a
32-bit chrooted userland for this purpose, but it took more time than I
expected due to some unexpected difficulties in the installation.
However, finally I managed to run a 32-bit modified netstat(1) and my
nettop utility on top of a 64-bit kernel.  After a few small
modifications of the exported streamed pcb list's structure they worked
fine, so it seems the libmemstat(3) model can be adapted well.  Note
that the original netstat(1) code always wants to use kvm, even when
doing live monitoring by sysctl variables, so I also needed to fix that
for the tests.

Cheers,
:g