ext2fs status report 8 & 9

Aditya Sarawgi sarawgi.aditya at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 06:23:52 UTC 2009

Hi,

ext2fs is now completely GPL free :) and I have started with
benchmarking. Initial results show that the new implementation is slower
than the GPL'd one. This was expected as I had removed preallocation
from ext2fs due to the fact that preallocation code was GPL'd and was
not compatible with journaling. Linux now uses a different kind of
preallocation, it is known as reservation window. I am trying a few
things to improve its performance. Firstly opensolaris has implemented
some kind of preallocation which is compatible with journaling and is
GPL free, so I'm working with them to get that into ext2fs of FreeBSD.
I haven't gone through source code of ext2fs in opensolaris as it is
under CDDL. I have told them to share their ideas on this or release the
code under BSD license so that I can implement it in FreeBSD. If this
works out as expected then the performance of ext2fs will increase to
some extent. I am also evaluating the possibility of implementing
cluster_write for ext2fs (Suggested by: Pedro Giffuni). When Godmar Back
ported it the block size of ext2fs was pretty small so he experienced a
performance hit with cluster_write but now ext2fs uses larger block
sizes so this might improve the performance of it.

Cheers,

Aditya Sarawgi