RFC: Extended Attribute Support for tar

Tim Kientzle tim at kientzle.com
Tue Mar 21 07:39:37 UTC 2006

Robert Watson wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Mar 2006, Tim Kientzle wrote:
>
>>  By default, "system" and "root" namespaces are not archived.
>
> This all sounds pretty reasonable to me, especially the decision
> regarding system attributes.  Since you say "by default", I assume you
> intend to provide a way to optionally backup and restore attributes in
> other name spaces if requested?

I'm trying to figure that part out.  For example, I'm wary
of backing up FreeBSD ACL information in two different forms
(as ACL and as extended attribute).  I seem to have read
that XFS uses the "root" namespace for filesystem private
info that should not be backed up and restored, much less
copied across systems.

Are there any conventions about these namespaces?

Tim