Questions

Iustin Pop iusty at k1024.org
Sun Dec 29 00:25:25 GMT 2002

Hi to all and Happy new year,

I have some question about ACLs (even after reading the archives):
  1. the editing part of the ACL library, is it really worthless
     and not needed? Linux's libacl 2.0.19 and FreeBSD 5.0 have
     implemented it. I foresee a use, for example in a security
     scanner, to be able to remove a user from ACLs when he is
     removed, without parsing text output. Am I making sense
     here?
  2. what would be the way to check if a permission is present in
     a permission set? Linux libacl has acl_get_perm, in FreeBSD
     you can entry->ae_perm & ACL_WRITE == ACL_WRITE. Is this the
     'proper' way to go about it, with using a custom wrapper for
     each OS? (Thread started 2001-04-09 Chris Faulhaber, no
     conclusion).
  3. the extended attributes interface, it is standardized
     anywhere? I'm using libattr in Linux, but elsewhere is it
     the same interface?
  4. has work progressed toward a new draft? the list has _very_
     few activity during 2002...

The reason I'm interested is that I'm developing a module for
python, right now only ACLs (separate module for EA), and I hope
also capabilities, and I'd like to be as cross-platform as I can
and to provide a uniform interface across all OSes.

Thank you,
Iustin Pop