ACLs and new object creation

Casey Schaufler casey at sgi.com
Mon Dec 2 17:09:09 GMT 2002

Robert Watson wrote:

>  However, quick glances at the Solaris and Linux ACL
> implementations suggest that these two implementations do not use the
> umask in the event a default ACL is defined for the parent object.

Irix used to do it your way, but we've recently changed it
to work the Solaris and Linux way because, well, they're bigger
fish than we are and we wanted to be as standard as possible,
even if it meant being somewhat less than we wanted.

This was one of the contentious issues in the POSIX
group.

--

Casey Schaufler				Manager, Trust Technology, SGI
casey at sgi.com				voice: 650.933.1634