Locations of POSIX.2c binaries?

Chris Faulhaber jedgar at fxp.org
Wed Mar 21 17:43:06 GMT 2001

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 06:11:02PM +0100, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Robert Watson wrote:
>

> > We recently committed our getfacl and setfacl tools to the base FreeBSD
> > 5.0-CURRENT branch, and received a comment about the location of the
> > files.  We placed them in /bin, in the style of our chmod, but comments
> > indicated that many users expected them to be in /usr/bin, as that is what
> > is used on Solaris.  Given that scripts tend to hard-code the location of
> > important binaries, it would be nice to be consistent here.  As such, I am
> > looking for some general views on how different implementors placed these
> > (and other POSIX.2c) binaries in the file system.  We're perfectly happy
> > to move to /usr/bin if that is more consistent, and it may well be.
>
> My understanding of /bin vs. /usr/bin is that /bin should contain the
> binaries needed for booting the system, as well as a base set of utilities
> needed by all users (ls, chmod, etc.). /usr/bin should contain all the
> rest. Taken that getfacl/setfacl functionally belongs in the same group
> functionally as ls/chmod, I'd opt for /bin. I wouldn't think Solaris is a
> good reference for utility locations. There is a filesystem hierarchy
> standard, <http://www.pathname.com/fhs/>, though.

Since [sg]etfacl(1) are not required for single-user mode, according
to hier(7)[1], /usr/bin would be more appropriate:

     /bin/    user utilities fundamental to both single-user and multi-user
              environments

     /usr/    contains the majority of user utilities and applications

              bin/      common utilities, programming tools, and applications

Where does Irix, etc., put them?

[1]: http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=hier

--
Chris D. Faulhaber - jedgar at fxp.org - jedgar at FreeBSD.org