ACL semantics -- consistency with existing ACL systems?

Robert Watson robert at cyrus.watson.org
Tue Oct 26 03:24:36 GMT 1999

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Casey Schaufler wrote:

> Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
>
> > > Unfortunately, I don't have access to an IRIX box so couldn't look at the
> > > implementation there.
>
> Blush. We blew off the ACL-editor-in-a-library and did this:
> ACL_GET_FILE(3C)
> ACL_GET_FILE(3C)

This seems a lot cleaner (and pure POSIX.1e also) so I'll probably go with
that, and add a compatbility acl/facl shim for Solaris/Linux
compatability, with a large warning in the man pages indicating that
inconsistencies are possible if they are used.  Seems a shame to introduce
compatibility layers in a first implementation, but if there are any
existing utilities/etc that handle Solaris ACLs (such as openlook file
managers?) then I'd like to have support for them.

The Solaris man pages refer to nfs support for ACLs -- is there any
documentation for these RPC calls anywhere?

  Robert N M Watson

robert at fledge.watson.org              http://www.watson.org/~robert/