[ACL-Devel] ACLs: Ideas for projects...

Dominik Kubla dominik.kubla at uni-mainz.de
Wed Oct 20 19:00:56 GMT 1999

On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 04:31:55PM +0200, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:

> POSIX ACL library functions
> ---------------------------
> Raymond S Brand <rsbx at rsbx.net> has a complete implementation of the POSIX
> Draft Standard 17 ACL library functions. These would need to be integrated
> with the Linux ACL project, tested, etc. Somebody volunteer, please  :)

Where could one get the code?

> ACLs for other filesystems
> --------------------------
> Linux supports many different filesystems. Some of them have native ACL
> support. Support for these filesystems' ACLs should be added. Most important
> to me seems NFS ACL support.

I take it that you mean NTFS not NFS, right?  That touches base with something
that was discussed on the samba-ntdom list recently about fitting SAMBA with
a generic ACL support so that SAMBA servers could map NT ACLs to native ACLs.

As for ACLs over NFS:  That touches the NFSv3 effort by Trond et al. and should
be discussed on the NFS mailing list as well. (But i am not sure that this is
really documented at all, at least i couldn't find anything about this in the
NFSv3 RFCs...)

> Linux ACL ports to other platforms
> ----------------------------------
> Currently, we only have ACL support in i386. People are working on PowerPC,
> Sparc, and Alpha ports, but progress seems to be moderate. Would you like to
> support your favorite platform? If so, I can give you a couple of hints. It
> shouldn't be _that_ hard :)

I need just a bit time to hack at Alpha and SPARC, but right now i don't have
it.  Additionally i will try to talk Ralf Bächle in doing the MIPS stuff
himself next time we meet...

More important:  Have you checked the ext3 patches of Stephen Tweedie?  It
would be nice if the journaling variant of ext2 would have ACL support out
of the box...

Yours,
  Dominik Kubla
To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at cyrus.watson.org