ACLs and pax, tar, cpio, dump: Extensions?

Casey Schaufler casey at anchovy.engr.sgi.com
Wed Oct 20 19:26:00 GMT 1999

There was quite a bit of discussion early on regarding how to
handle this. In short, AT&T refused to consider changes to cpio,
and no one really had a good idea on tar. The discussions broke
down whenit was suggested that the security group define an
extended version of pax, which would be named after the group.
We were P1003.6 at the time, so the program would have been called ....

	6pax

For Trix we did a sneaky in the tar format. Once we get through the
Open Source Release Process I'll make it available.

Casey Schaufler                         voice: (650) 933-1634
casey at sgi.com                           fax:   (650) 933-0170