Ways to overlay ACLs into existing OSes (was: Re: Filesystem with ACLs (fwd))

James Buster bitbug at seal.engr.sgi.com
Mon Oct 11 21:01:24 GMT 1999

On Oct 9, 12:05pm, Robert Watson wrote:
} On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, Casey Schaufler wrote:
} > Robert Watson wrote:
} >
} > > I must admit, however, that I was impressed to find the ACL support in the
} > > default Solaris file system :-).
} >
} > They're in Irix, too.
}
} As I'm about to start looking into adding ACL support to FreeBSD, I am
} curious about how you chose to integrate the ACL structures into the base
} FS--if one goes for the "whole hog" integration, presumably one has to
} find space somewhere--we have been throwing around modifying inodes,

The XFS filesystem has generic extended attributes on files. An ACL and
a MAC label are just another attribute.

} adding an additional "ACL" block, adding support for file forks and using
} an "ACL" fork for the ACL, etc.  About how large does the supporting data
} end up being?

IRIX acls are 304 bytes.

} And as has been observed, Solaris differs from the POSIX.1e draft--did you
} follow it to the letter, or were there changes you needed to make?

Pretty much to the letter.

--
Planet Bog -- pools of toxic chemicals bubble under a choking
atomsphere of poisonous gases... but aside from that, it's not