Default ACL: Semantics (again)

Peter J. Holzer hjp at wsr.ac.at
Thu Oct 7 10:17:24 GMT 1999

On 1999-10-06 15:33:22 -0700, James Buster wrote:
> On Oct 6, 12:36pm, "Peter J. Holzer" wrote:
> } I don't think so. 5.3.1.2 (2) says:
> }
> }     Both the ACL_USER_OBJ ACL entry permission bits and the file owner
> }     class permission bits of the access ACL are set to the intersection
> }     of the default ACL's ACL_USER_OBJ permission bits and the file owner
> }     class permission bits in mode.
> }
> } I couldn't find a definition of "file owner class permission bits of the
> } access ACL", but from context I guess that it means "permission bits
> } of all ACL_USER entries which match the file owner". So I think that
> } user:andy: should be set to ---, too.
>
> The "file owner class permission bits" correspond to the permissions
> associated with the ACL_USER_OBJ entry.

Then why does it say "*Both* the ACL_USER_OBJ ACL entry permission bits
and the file owner class permission bits"? This implies to me that these
are two different things. But then English isn't my native language.

It doesn't make any difference, though, as the ACL_USER_OBJ shadows
any ACL_USER entry for the same user. The ACL_USER entry would be
evaluated only if the file is subsequently chowned.

> You must be using an old draft. The words "of the access ACL" are not
> present in draft 15.

I have draft 17 (September 1997, IIRC), which is probably newer than
draft 15 :-)

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer             | Nobody should ever have to be
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR / Obmann LUGA  | ashamed if they have a secret love
__/   | http://wsrx.wsr.ac.at/~hjp/ | actually work.  -- Donald E. Knuth