POSIX ACLs -- under-specified areas in Draft Standard 17?

Casey Schaufler casey at anchovy.engr.sgi.com
Sun Oct 3 23:02:42 GMT 1999

The POSIX committee considered every issue known to man, and then some.
I personally dislike any form of directory based default ACLs, but there
was very strong support for their inclusion from the spooks. Their biggest
concern, one which I agree with, BTW, was that a default ACL ought
never grant more access than the mode bits provided to creat(2) would.
The resulting conplexity of the draft, and it's unplesant implications,
provide backing for my preference against default ACLs.

Never underestimate the ammount of effort that went into that draft.
We worked on it for ten years, with as many as fifty people contributing
at one time.

Casey Schaufler                         voice: (650) 933-1634
casey at sgi.com                           fax:   (650) 933-0170