PERFORCE change 133090 for review

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 12 04:35:34 PST 2008

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008, John Birrell wrote:

> http://perforce.freebsd.org/chv.cgi?CH=133090
>
> Change 133090 by jb at jb_freebsd1 on 2008/01/12 05:00:46
>
> 	Add a simple libproc for use by libdtrace. This is based on
> 	ptrace, kevent and kvm instead of procfs like the one in Solaris.

Does it actually depend on kvm (/dev/kmem) or just on libkvm interfaces?
We've been trying to eliminate dependence on /dev/kmem for tools that
otherwise don't require privilege over the last few years, in the interests of
eliminating setgid kmem.  Generally, we've done this by adding sysctls that
explicitly export the required information, and in some cases, those sysctls
have been wrapped by existing libkvm interfaces.  I guess this is most easily
answered by knowing if things using libdtrace->libproc require setgid to
operate :-).

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge