PERFORCE change 124354 for review

Marko Zec zec at icir.org
Mon Jul 30 21:30:43 UTC 2007

On Monday 30 July 2007 19:24, Julian Elischer wrote:
> Marko Zec wrote:
> > http://perforce.freebsd.org/chv.cgi?CH=124354
> >
> > Change 124354 by zec at zec_tpx32 on 2007/07/30 13:37:17
> >

> > 	While here, deprecate backpointers from vnet modules to
> > 	the corresponding parent vnets, given that so far they have
> > 	never been used.
>
> hmmmm
> I was thinking about that.. The idea seems to make sense initially..
> I am surprised that they are not used but wonder if that means
> they would never have been used?
> would they not be used in the case of hierarchical schedulers?

Yes we (will) need one form or another of hierarchy among vnets, but
this deleted backpointer used to be something else...  It was included
in each per-module structure (i.e. NET, INET, INET6, IPFW etc.) and was
pointing back to the corresponding vnet.  It turns out that we always
know in which vnet we are operating (by consulting the curvnet macro or
by looking at some other appropriate struct such as socket or ifnet),
hence maintaining this information in each vnet-module seems to be
redundant...

Marko