PERFORCE change 28616 for review

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Wed Apr 9 11:04:32 PDT 2003

John Baldwin wrote:

> On 09-Apr-2003 Peter Wemm wrote:
> > http://perforce.freebsd.org/chv.cgi?CH=28616
> >
> > Change 28616 by peter at peter_daintree on 2003/04/08 22:36:45
> >
> >       move identify_cpu from locore to here.
>
> Can we do this for i386 as well?

Maybe..  the problem is that we have lots of nasty stuff in locore to
determine the basic feature set.  The hammer stuff is nice in that it has
a respectable minimum feature set and we simply do not need to worry about
figuring out page table page layouts etc.

Also, locore is really really small because I've got the loader doing
a long mode entry with PSE paging enabled.. there's 1GB direct mapped at
address zero, and 1GB starting from kernbase.  That is more than enough to
set up real page tables.  I'm going to move this from machdep.c to
pmap_bootstrap() at some point, since that seems to be the canonical place
to do this sort of thing.  It simplifies a lot of things.  I'd really like
to do this for the i386 kernel too, but it would be nice to get it done
before RELENG_5 starts.

Cheers,
-Peter
Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com