FreeBSD Port: x11-wm/xfce4-desktop

Olivier Duchateau duchateau.olivier at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 19:51:22 UTC 2020

Le Mon, 5 Oct 2020 20:13:22 +0100,
Christopher Tipper <chris.tipper at gmail.com> a écrit :

> I noticed a curiosity in the xdg/xfce4/xinitrc using a call to linux
> systemd to activate dbus it does not look like this file has been
> patched for freebsd compatibility
>
> I notice that the FreeBSD Handbook at
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11-wm.html
> (last section on configuring Xfce)
>
> asks the user to install this file either as .xinitrc or .xsession
>
> An unsuspecting user following the Handbook is going to have an
> unpleasant surprise.
>
> Christopher Tipper
>
> --
> Sent with Spark

Hi,

xinitrc file works fine under FreeBSD, it does not required to be
patched.

The Handbook is very outdated. I'm planning to submit an update for the
next stable release (4.16).

If you want to launch your session:

1. Add dbus_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf

2. Add a login manager (LightDM is recommended application)
Xfce is gettext compliant, so if you want a session with your locale,
you must create (or update) file located in
/var/db/AccountsService/users/

This file matches your login account. It contains these following lines:
[User]
Language=your preferred locale (accountsservice understands only UTF-8,
e.g. fr_FR.UTF-8)
Session=xfce (in fact any files in /usr/local/share/xsessions/)
XSession=(optional, same value above)
SystemAccount=false

xinitrc file is required for Xdm, Slim or without login manager. With
LightDM is not necessary.

Note: Even if LightDM is a cross-desktop display manager, gnome-shell
does not work, it needs Gdm!

Regards,

--
olivier