help needed with UEFI BIOS and CSM

Roger Pau Monné roger.pau at citrix.com
Tue May 25 07:54:50 UTC 2021

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 05:15:25PM +0200, lizbethmutterhunt at gmail.com wrote:
> I CSMd the BIOS and so I have the start partition, although every system on
> the 1TB hdd is UEFI (FreeBSD, too). I want to start the hypervisor kernel in
> advance, made a kernel and builtworld but I'm unsure what to do now?

I'm afraid I'm not sure I understand what you want to achieve.

Please note that FreeBSD HEAD supports booting Xen from UEFI now also,
so you are no longer tied to using legacy BIOS.

If you want to boot Xen you need to install the xen-kernel package and
add the xen_kernel and xen_cmdline options to your loader.conf, see:

https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/virtualization/#virtualization-host-xen

You likely also want to install the xen-tools package in order to
manage VMs.

Roger.