[SUSPECTED SPAM]Re: HEADS UP: FreeBSD/Xen dom0 UEFI support

Stephen Walker-Weinshenker sww1235 at gmail.com
Mon May 17 01:18:00 UTC 2021

> > xen_cmdline="dom0_mem=2048M dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0=pvh com1=115200,8n1
> > guest_loglvl=all loglvl=all console=vga,com1"
> Can you try adding 'watchdog' to xen_cmdline and see if that forces
> the box to reboot after it goes black?
>
> If Xen is able to boot, and the problem is with FreeBSD dom0 you might
> try also adding vga=keep to xen_cmdline, that way we might get some
> output from dom0 (if that's indeed where the issue is happening).
>
> > xen-kernel version = 4.14.1_1
> > xen-tools version = 4.14.1_1
> >
> > Both installed from packages, rather than ports.
> >
> > These boxes are Intel NUCs that I normally manage over intel AMT using mesh
> > commander. I tried enabling the virtual serial port through AMT but no
> > dice.
>
> I never tried using the AMT serial port, first thing would be to get
> it to work with plain FreeBSD, then we can see about getting it
> working with Xen. FWIW, a lot of the test boxes I work with use SoL,
> and I would expect the AMT serial to work as well.

No dice on the AMT serial port, but I have been less than impressed with
MeshCommander and AMT thus far.

> > I know the nucs have a hardware serial port, but I don't have the
> > cable to attach to the header at the moment. I have ordered some headers
> > and crimp pins to attach to the serial port for more debugging, but they
> > will not get here for about a week.
>
> I did the original EFI work on a NUC7i7DNHE using the serial port.
> Last time I tried HDMI worked with Xen.

I was able to get the hardware serial port working. turned out I had a typo in
my /boot/loader.conf. Commconsole instead of comconsole. That also flagged
a different error that revealed that vidconsole should be replaced with efi on
UEFI systems

> > I also tried connecting directly to the NUC's HDMI port but I just got a
> > blank screen again, after all the boot messages appeared.
>
> Are those messages that you see Xen boot messages or FreeBSD boot
> messages?
>
> Does the box reboot itself?

No

> I'm afraid we will require some more information to help diagnose
> what's going on.

Tried adding both of the options that you mentioned above to xen_cmdline with no
appreciable difference.
The system did not appear to attempt to reboot itself. See serial
console output below.

After the Beastie menu, I get the following output on both HDMI and
serial consoles,
and then no further output on the serial console, while the HDMI
console goes blank.

/boot/xen data=0x26b9a8+0x146658 -
/boot/kernel/kernel size=0x1debd70
/boot/entropy size=0x1000
/etc/hostid size=0x25
EFI framebuffer information:
addr, size     0x4000000000, 0x1d4c00
dimensions     800 x 600
stride         800
masks          0x00ff0000, 0x0000ff00, 0x000000ff, 0xff000000

I am happy to do additional debugging, but I personally am out of my depth here.

Thank you

Stephen