Name resolution from host to domUs?

Marcin Cieslak saper at saper.info
Fri May 7 11:25:47 UTC 2021

This is more a question about best practice people are using...

I run Xen mainly to start a myriad of various operating systems
in my lab (Linux variants, Solaris, BSDs, Windows...).
domUs have usually zvol's allocated to them.

I assign the IPv4 addresses via a local DHCP server, all domUs have access
to two bridge interfaces (one for IPv4 with NAT, one for IPv6).

Currently I add all domU IPv4 addresses to /etc/hosts file, being
too lazy to maintain a DNS zone.

Is there any way to nicely have name-to-IP name resolution working
without doing things like DHCP+dynamic DNS on every machine?

How to find out easily the IPv4 addresses assigned to the domUs?
I understand that Xen only bridges Ethernet frames and has no
clue really what happens above that?

Marcin