Getting more than 800x600 on the HVM console?

Marcin Cieslak saper at saper.info
Thu May 26 22:29:52 UTC 2016

Despite having

memory = 4096
videoram=16
vga = "stdvga"

in my Windows hvm domU configuration my Xen console is always
stuck on 800x600. (FreeBSD's VGA console is 640x480 even).

Windows detects it as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
with the usual Bochs PCI IDs 0x1234/0x1111.
The resolution is 800x600, grayed out, with 32bpp.
It also says it has "2039MB Total Available Video Memory"
which is also "2039MB Shared System Memory".

Not sure it's FreeBSD specific, but all advice
online tells me to set "videoram".

Any hints?

Marcin