11-RELEASE acting as vbd backend

Nathan Friess nathan.friess at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 16:32:18 UTC 2016

On 16-12-09 07:46 AM, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry for the delay, there was a huge can of worms behind this. I have a
> solution, but it requires patching both Xen and the FreeBSD kernel. Please bear
> with me, I will send those patches once ready.

It sounds like you might know this already, but I did some more digging
and here is what I can see so far...

The important command is "xl devd".  Running that under truss, it is
trying to open /dev/xen/xenbus and that was the cause of the No such
file error.  It looks like the 10.3 tools used to open /dev/xen/xenstore
instead.

I can get around this by exporting XENSTORED_PATH="/dev/xen/xenstore".

Now xl devd is stuck at:

libxl: error: libxl_event.c:639:libxl__ev_xswatch_register: create watch
for path /local/domain/7/backend: Invalid argument

So it seems like an API issue with asking the kernel or dom0 to set a
watch for new backend devices.

Whenever the patches are ready I can test them on my system.

Nathan