XenServer 6.5(SP1) - HVM 're0: watchdog timeout' errors...

Karl Pielorz kpielorz_lst at tdx.co.uk
Wed Sep 9 12:24:01 UTC 2015

--On 09 September 2015 11:04 +0200 Roger Pau Monné <roger.pau at citrix.com>
wrote:

> In the meantime, I have the following crappy patch to FreeBSD if_re
> driver, which should disable the watchdog (I have not even compile
> tested this).

fyi - The patch stops the 'watchdog timeout' errors - but the NIC just
'dies' after the live migrate (i.e. same as before, but no errors logged).

VirtIO (vtnet) so far seems to work for migrates, and work for routing
traffic to other DomU guests - so I'm continuing to test that now as a
workaround (i.e. test with OpenVPN etc.)

The only thing I've noticed with it is that established TCP sessions
'through the DomU' tend to die during the migrate (i.e. the DomU 'lands' at
the destination node - but any transfers in progress stall - there's a
50/50 chance they recover) - but if I migrate the Windows DomU that's
actually got the download in progress, the session stays up - hence more
testing needed.

-Karl