XenServer 6.5(SP1) - HVM 're0: watchdog timeout' errors...

Karl Pielorz kpielorz_lst at tdx.co.uk
Tue Sep 8 16:07:00 UTC 2015

--On 07 September 2015 13:11 -0400 Adam McDougall <mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu>
wrote:

> Try this:
> http://discussions.citrix.com/topic/329848-openbsd-with-message-watchdog-
> timeout/
>
> I've used it before for an OpenBSD guest VM.  If that patch is in place
> on any XenServer you migrate to, it should set e1000 for the NIC type if
> you set NicEmulation in the Custom Fields as described in step 2.
>
> A cleaner patch would just let you specify any driver you want, but this
> one is semi-hardcoded for e1000.  You could also try 'virtio' with:
> argv = [arg.replace('rtl8139','virtio') for arg in argv]

Hi,

Thanks for the link. I patched both our in-house XenServers
[6.5SP1+Hotfixes] with this - it appeared to work OK (i.e. the DomU's came
up with em0 NIC's - rather than Realtek).

They seem to work OK for pushing traffic - but if I try and migrate a guest
VM using Intel NIC's with XenServer - it fails miserably and kills it :(

XenServer logs:

 "Migrating VM 'FreeBSD (SWR)' from 'Xen1' to 'Xen2' Internal error:
Xenops_interface.Internal_error("Unix.Unix_error(2\"open\",\"/var/lib/xen/qemu-save.36\")")"

Other VM's not using the Intel NIC's seem OK. I made sure both the 'source'
and 'destination' XenServers are patch (there's only two in the pool).

-Karl