XenServer 6.2 tools for FreeBSD 9 'Guest'?

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Wed Aug 28 17:09:55 UTC 2013

On 08/28/13 11:31, Karl Pielorz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We've got XenServer now running a couple of FreeBSD 9.2-RC2 VM's
> (running the XENHVM kernel).
>
> Is there any up to date 'xen tools' setup guide or anything anywhere we
> can look at?
>
> I've seen 'xen-tools' in the ports collection - but once installed it
> doesn't seem to do a lot. I'm looking to enable things like suspending
> VM's and migration etc.
>
> Any pointers? - Google turns up a lot of stuff, but mostly for much
> older versions of Xen & FreeBSD.
>
> -Karl

Try the xe-guest-utilities which uses xen-tools.  You may have to hack
/usr/local/sbin/xe-update-guest-attrs near the bottom to provide a
MinorVersion and/or MicroVersion higher than the default to get the
hypervisor to accept it as recent enough.  For example under a 6.0.2
environment you could try:

xenstore_write_cached "attr/PVAddons/MajorVersion" "6"
xenstore_write_cached "attr/PVAddons/MinorVersion" "0"
xenstore_write_cached "attr/PVAddons/MicroVersion" "99"

Once you enable and run /usr/local/etc/rc.d/xenguest you should be in
business.