Citrix Xenserver and FreeBSD migration/suspend scripts

Jay West jwest at ezwind.net
Sun Aug 12 12:50:49 UTC 2012

Just tried the migration scripts on 64bit FreeBSD 9.0-Release & 9.1-Beta
XENHVM kernel with PV drivers. Seems to work under Xenserver 6.0 and
Xenserver 5.6SP2. I can't say how awesome that is, thank you VERY much to
the people who worked on it. Not having stable virtualization with migration
for FreeBSD under Xenserver has been a severe shortcoming for this FreeBSD
zealot, finally we can roll out a new infrastructure with our preferred OS.

Questions:
1) on the stock 64bit 9.0 & 9.1-beta XENHVM kernels, we still had the boot
problem where after installing the kernel and rebooting, the boot failed as
being unable to find the boot device. We had to pass a boot string of ad0p2
instead of the default ada0p2, and then edit fstab accordingly. I assume
others here had to do that as well?

2) I'm sure this will show a lack of understanding on my part,  but I'm just
curious about the xen-tools port that has been in the ports collection for a
little while. As per the pdf on the migration/suspend scripts, this needs to
be installed first. I would think the current port - being called
"xen-tools", would/should include these migration/suspend scripts. It's not
xen-tools (in Citrix parlance) without that capability. So, is this a case
of the new scripts just "finish off" the work that went into the current
xen-tools script and the xen-tools port in the ports collection is
functionally incomplete? I guess I'm unclear as to the
history/relationship/status of the xen-tools port and these
migration/suspend scripts.

3) In some of my googling on 64 bit XENHVM "how-to's", one of them (can't
find it at the moment) mentioned 64 bit Freebsd not working right under Xen
with regards to SMP, and the how-to offered several patches to disable SMP
amongst other related items. To run the new migration/suspend scripts, did
other people here need to use those patches?

Jay West
EZwind.net
PO Box 460474
Saint Louis, MO 63146
Voice: (314) 262-4143 ext 1000
Toll Free: (866) 343-2589
Fax: (314) 558-9284
jwest at ezwind.net

This e-mail transmission may contain information that is proprietary,
privileged and/or confidential
and is intended exclusively for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. Any
use, copying, retention
or disclosure by any person other than the intended recipient or the
intended recipient's designees
is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or their
designee, please notify the
sender immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies.