freebsd-xen images

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Sun May 24 15:56:06 UTC 2009

2009/5/24 Paul Schenkeveld <fb-xen at psconsult.nl>:

> Thanks a lot!  Nice to see all that recent activity on FreeBSD dom0!

FreeBSD DomU you mean? :) There's no FreeBSD dom0 support.

> This all shows that getting a dom0 up and running can be a challenge if
> you're not Linux literate.  Are there any more detailed resources on the
> net about "getting your first dom0 that's capable of running FreeBSD domU
> up and running for newbies"?

Yup!

The way is simple:

* grab centos 5.3, i386 edition (i've not tried the 64 bit stuff)
* you uncheck all the package groups except "base", including "dial up
networking" and "text" internet
* (this means you only need CD 1, not all 6.)
* Install the base system
* reboot, make sure everything is fine, run "yum update", fiddle with
things as needed

* Then "yum install xen"
* make sure /boot/grub/menu.lst is set to boot xen automatically.

That is basically it ;) There's other stuff to do (such as figuring
out how to drive their networking scripts) but the default "bridged"
eth0 is perfectly fine for basic testing.

I had trouble with my recentish intel desktop motherboard(s) - I had
to boot the installer and normal kernel with 'acpi=off' but -not- boot
Xen with that.

Adrian