Xen stuff

Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko gaijin.k at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 11:52:07 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 21:54 +0000, Doug Rabson wrote:
> On 1 Dec 2008, at 18:45, Ivan Voras wrote:
>
> > 2008/12/1 Doug Rabson <dfr at rabson.org>:
> >> I will be working on improving Xen support in FreeBSD for the new few
> >
> > Great!
> >
> >> months. My main goal is to add support for native Xen drivers to an
> >> amd64
> >> kernel which is running in Xen's HVM mode. These drivers will take
> >> over from
> >> the slow emulated devices and provide most of the performance
> >> benefits of a
> >> paravirtualised kernel. I'm initially going to be supporting
> >> FreeBSD 6.x but
> >> I will port it all forward to head and 7.x when it works properly.
> >
> > For the not-quite-yet-initiated : does this mean you're working on
> > paravirtualized drivers for Xen dom-U ("guest" case)?
>
> Sort of. The latest versions of Xen support something called HVM mode
> which allows it to boot a completely unmodified guest OS using
> emulated devices in a similar way to e.g. VMware Fusion. It is then
> possible to incrementally add Xen-aware paravirtualised drivers which
> can replace the emulated ones and which perform better. This is how
> they support Windows under Xen.
Did you get to run FreeBSD in HVM mode? What version of Xen, and who was
playing the dom0?

The reason for the question is that I have patchy experience with HVM:
while I have Windows XP Professional running happily, OpenSolaris 2008.5
would lock up on the regular basis.

I am running Xen 3.2.1 with OpenSuse x86_64 11.0 in the dom0.

Thank you.

Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko (Олександр Коваленко)