drm-fbsd12.0-kmod: failed mutex (Fatal trap 9)

Madsen Altamirano codejoule at protonmail.com
Wed May 12 21:19:57 UTC 2021

Hello! I am running FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p6 with drm-fbsd12.0-kmod installed. I am using the i915kms driver for the Intel Core i5-2520M. My system will often crash in an instant, dump the memory, and then shutdown. It always happens at random, although I notice it happening more when trying to run KDE Plasma, or a web browser.

Here an an example of a typical error message in /var/crash/core.txt.* : https://pastebin.com/raw/HWXk0q4s
It looks like the important part is "!drm_modeset_is_locked(&crtc->mutex) failed" since this is the consistent part of every crash.

I have already tested my memory disks with sysutils/memtest86 with no issues. I have never had this problem on other operating systems using the same hardware. It's really annoying because it happens a lot! By posting here, I am hoping that this can be resolved. :) I'm still a noob at these deep internal things of the system. Any help would be appreciated!