Finally got touchpad working on Dell Precision 7520

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Sun Feb 28 13:56:20 UTC 2021

Turns out that the touchpad on the Precision 7520 (and likely several
other "newer" (last few years) laptops uses I2C.

For stable/12, I had built/installed the sysutils/iichid port;
iichid is part of base FreeBSD in stable/13 and head.  And while
the mouse works (under X11 -- not on a vty) in stable/13 & head;
it still does not work under stable/12.

I had appended:

hw.usb.usbhid.enable=1
iichid_load="YES"

to /boot/loader.conf for each of stable/12, stable/13, and head.  For
the latter two, I see several additional kernle modules brought in (such
as hms.ko, hidmap.ko, and hkbd.ko); I don't see them either in base
stable/12 or in ports (though I may not know where to look).

But it's progress!

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill                              david at catwhisker.org
It is supremely disingenuous to claim a lack of jurisdiction, then
proceed to participate in a decision on the same matter.

See https://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg for my public key.