firmware image loaded, but did not register

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Wed Apr 7 06:44:42 UTC 2021

On 06/04/2021 15:07, Andriy Gapon wrote:

> On my locally built very fresh CURRENT (April 5, 015351de04e3) plus latest drm
> from 5.4-lts (March 11, 721d79bdb217) there is a problem with loading firmware
> modules (also locally built as a part of drm build):
>
> <6>[drm] Loading RS780 Microcode
> RS780_pfp.bin: could not load firmware image, error 2
> radeon/RS780_pfp.bin: could not load firmware image, error 2
> radeon_RS780_pfp.bin: could not load firmware image, error 2
>
> firmware: 'radeon/RS780_pfp.bin' version 0: 2304 bytes loaded at 0xffffffff82b09000
> radeon_RS780_pfp_bin: firmware image loaded, but did not register

I figured out exact details of this problem but they are not important.
The root cause is that I did not update my firmware tree as I build firmware
modules locally as well.
So, it was a mismatch between how modules were built and how linux kpi loaded
them (after some recent changes).

--
Andriy Gapon