Ryzen3-3200G - graphics

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Sun Sep 27 09:46:21 UTC 2020

On 2020-Sep-26 11:16:57 -0400, Vasilis Papadiamantopoulos <vp at varchs.com> wrote:
>I recently built a system with MSI B450 PRO-VDH MAX with a Ryzen-3 3200G with Radeon RX Vega 8 (picasso) [APU].
>I am running 12.1-RELEASE-p9

I've just finished setting up a laptop with a Ryzen 7-3700U (RX Vego 10)
and it's working (though I'm running 13-current and drm-current-kmod).
Possibly you need to use drm-devel-kmod, rather than drm-kmod.

>% vi /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/xorg.conf

This should be unnecessary.  I suggest you delete the xorg.conf.

>* I tried Driver “amdgpu”

By default, xorg doesn't include the amdgpu driver.  Since you are
xorg should default to using the xorg modesetting driver.

>The system gave me an ERROR UNSUPPORTED GPU.

I don't see this message anywhere in the followup you posted.  I do see
"Warning, couldn't open module amdgpu" - which is what I'd expect.

>I assume that as the system doesn’t complain about the amdgpu.ko at boot, after an update I will see my screen flickering while loading the module.
>Now nothing happens when it passes [drm] amdgpu kernel modesetting enabled.

That [drm] line is expected and should be followed by another ~100 lines
of drm-related output.  This information will be in the output from the
"dmesg" command as well as on the console.

What do you mean by "nothing happens"?

If X still doesn't work after you delete xorg.conf, could you please
post your Xorg.0.log and the dmesg output starting with the line:
[drm] amdgpu kernel modesetting enabled.

--
Peter Jeremy