Is there any performance difference between udev and evdev in xorg?

Niclas Zeising zeising at freebsd.org
Wed Sep 16 09:22:05 UTC 2020

On 2020-09-16 10:07, Grzegorz Junka wrote:

> On 16/09/2020 07:37, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:

>>> This is bad advice.
>> OK, let's see why is it bad. :-)
>>
>>> The DEVD support in xorg-server might go away, since it is a FreeBSD
>>> only solution and the udev/evdev is similar to what is used on Linux.
>> Does this imply that DEVD support in X.org is technically inferior to
>> udev/evdev, or it might get deprecated just because they prefer Linux
>> way, regardless of the actual design and implementation quality?  Kind
>> of tangentially related question, but this might help to foresee what
>> to expect from future X.org development.
>>

> Linux way doesn't mean it's a bad way. As a user I don't really care if
> it's Linux way or not as long as it supports the hardware that I spent
> my money on.
>
> As a developer I do care about a solution that is simpler to code and
> use, but not if it's Linux or not. Can you actually define what you mean
> by Linux way?
>
> However, the most important thing that I care about is that the code I
> am learning and using is copyfree. If someone was kind enough to rewrite
> the whole Linux using a FreeBSD license then I wouldn't mind switching
> to do that to make a better use of the hardware that I have.

In this case, it is copyfree.  We have a udev/evdev compat layer in the
FreeBSD kernel that is BSD licensed, since it was developed on and for
FreeBSD.  For the rest of the stack, which means libinput and the device
handling in X and wayland, it is MIT licensed, since upstream code
generally is MIT licensed.
Regards
--
Niclas Zeising