Is there any performance difference between udev and evdev in xorg?

Alexey Dokuchaev danfe at freebsd.org
Wed Sep 16 04:01:10 UTC 2020

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 10:55:31PM -0400, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> What if any is the performance difference between udev and evdev when
> configuring xorg?  Also do I need to use one or the other consistently
> or can I intermix them?

If you don't need them (e.g. because this is desktop system without
fancy input devices), you'd better off with disabling both of them
altogether and use good old traditional way, that is, simply install
xf86-input-{keyboard,mouse} and let X.org handle those peripherals.

Yes, you would still be able to plug and unplug your USB mice and
they will be detected and working as expected.

TL;DR: DEVD/UDEV support is overrated and usually not needed at all.

./danfe