drm-current-kmod 5.4 missing 4.16 patches

Tijl Coosemans tijl at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 5 10:36:43 UTC 2020

On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 09:43:41 +0200 Emmanuel Vadot <manu at bidouilliste.com>
wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 16:28:57 +0200
> T?l Coosemans <tijl at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>> I noticed some patches that were applied to drm-current-kmod 4.16 are
>> missing from 5.4.  I went over this list (minus the upstream commits):
>> https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/kms-drm/compare/drm-v5.1...drm-v4.16
>
> Might be a stupid question but does those patches fixes anything for
> you ?

Yes, I have an admittedly very old radeon AGP card that was broken.
That's how I discovered patches were missing.

>> I attached the ones that were missing.  They have been reworked a bit to
>> apply to https://github.com/freebsd/drm-kmod/tree/5.4-lts
>
> They should be applied on master and then cherry-picked to 5.4-lts

Sure, but one of the patches depends on an upstream commit that's not in
master, so can you update master first?:
https://github.com/freebsd/drm-kmod/commit/72a740894

>> They don't apply to the master branch because it is missing things that
>> are in 5.4-lts.  In fact master is currently 273 commits behind 5.4-lts
>> which in turn is 49 commits behind master.  You seem to be applying
>> patches to both branches instead of applying them to one branch and then
>> merging the branches.  If you happen to forget about the other branch
>> that's how patches get lost.
>
>  master is following linux master (kinda) and right now it's at 5.4
> while 5.4-lts follow the lts release of the 5.4 linux branch, that's
> why it's ahead of master on some parts.

Ok, but presumably the upstream lts commits are cherry picks from their
master branch so maybe you should commit those to drm-kmod master
first and then cherry pick them from there to the 5.4-lts branch.

>  The master branch was created from the drm-v5.0 branch on
> FreeBSDDesktop and if you check this one you can see that the changes
> (at least some of them) aren't there.

Yes, something must have gone wrong there.  I compared with drm-v5.1 by
the way but when I compare with drm-v5.0 now it's the same set of missing
commits, so I think I've got them all.

>  Now on the patch themselves, if they solve something for you (or
> others) I don't mind adding them but please open a merge request on
> github. I'm not sure that commiting the agp patches make much sense in
> 2020 tbh, I hesitated a few times to ship drm-kmod without
> CONFIG_DRM_LEGACY enabled and this remove everything agp related and
> the old way of handling buffer (among other stuff).

The patches mostly reduce the diff with Linux so you'll want them just
for that.  I don't have a github account and don't want one so please
just apply the patches using "git am *.patch".

I wouldn't mind if you added a LEGACY option to the port that is disabled
by default.  To actually remove hardware support I think you need proper
deprecation notices first.