Cyrillic font for xterm/urxvt and libreoffice, firefox

Vladimir Kondratyev vladimir at kondratyev.su
Thu Nov 26 20:30:28 UTC 2020

On 26.11.2020 15:38, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> Привет Владимир,

Привет, Маттиас!

> The configuration in libreoffice for the above font is simple:
> selecting the font Consolas and type 'I' (for italic). This gives the
> attached document in LO. Nice.
>
> I found until now no way to change to Italic in firefox. Consolas is
> excepted and gives the normal Russian glyphs, but not in Italic, i.e. the
> Russian 'т' looking like an English 'm'. Any idea how to trick firefox?

I know one way to force default font to be italic in firefox. Just
delete normal font files from the disk and leave their oblique versions
intact.

IMO, you should not stick to monospace fonts to browse sites. Many
classic proportional webfonts from M$ e.g. 'Arial' and 'Times New Roman'
have proper 'т'.

> I use https://www.duolingo.com/learn to study Russian online and it would be
> nice to see there the writings in Italic to get used to it reading this
> style of "handwritten" Russian. My professor at the University even
> expects us writing by hand on paper in Russian and I now have to start learning
> to write again like when I was a school boy 55 years ago. This is a
> challenging project I started :-)

Recently, I had to fill small 'one page' form by hand. Only third try
was successful :-). First two resulted in unwanted bloats :-(

--
WBR
Vladimir Kondratyev