Xorg recurring background

Michael Gmelin freebsd at grem.de
Sun May 3 20:34:00 UTC 2020

Xorg isn’t a window manager. If you installed the default package, it most likely uses twm by default (see here for details, you might find the look familiar: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twm )

Xdm runs on xorg and presents a login manager to you.

Once you logged in successfully using xdm, it executes what is in .xsession. If you have no .xsession file in your home directory, it executes defaults (which might include starting twm, the window manager installed with the xorg package). By creating an .xsession file and making it executable, you tell xdm to run that instead of the default on start up.

The first line of the .xsession file tells the system that the following lines are to be interpreted by /bin/sh (see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourne_shell ). The “#!” construct is called a shebang (see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shebang_(Unix) )

The next two lines set the background using feh and then start the window manager (which needs to be explicit, now that .xsession overrides the defaults).

So, please test

chmod 700 /home/youruser/.xsession

Then, make sure /home/youruser/.xsession contains at least:

#!/bin/sh
feh --bg-center $HOME/Downloads/wallpaper1.jpg
exec twm

and let me know if this worked for you or not.

If it doesn’t, please record the boot up process, your login process, and showing the content of the config files we talked about in a terminal using your smartphone and share that with us over a publicly accessible platform of your choice.

-m