users of xorg, in particular on FreeBSD 11.3

Jan Beich jbeich at FreeBSD.org
Sat Mar 21 05:36:51 UTC 2020

Eugene Grosbein <eugen at grosbein.net> writes:

> 21.03.2020 6:41, Niclas Zeising wrote:
>
>> [ This is cross-posted across several mailing lists for maximum
>> visibility.  Please respect reply-to and keep replies to
>> x11 at FreeBSD.org . Thank you! ]
>>
>> In order to improve support when using evdev to manage input
>> devices, in particular keyboards, we have switched the default in
>> x11/libxkbcommon to the evdev instead of the legacy ruleset.  This
>> was done in ports r528813 .
>>
>> On FreeBSD 11.3, the default configuration still requires the legacy ruleset.
>>
>> If you are using FreeBSD 11.3, or if you are using
>> xf86-input-keyboard on FreeBSD 12 or later, you need to change the
>> ruleset used by x11/libxkbcommon.
>>
>> If you have issues with your keyboard, most notably arrow keys, and
>> if /var/log/Xorg.*.log shows that the "kbd" or "keyboard" driver is
>> being used, you need to switch to legacy rules by setting the
>> environment variable XKB_DEFAULT_RULES to xorg.
>>
>> The easiest way to accomplish this is by adding it to your shell startup file.
>>
>> As an example, for users of [t]csh, put
>>   setenv XKB_DEFAULT_RULES xorg
>> in ~/.login
>>
>> For users of bourne type shells (sh, bash, ksh, zsh, ...) instead put
>> export XKB_DEFAULT_RULES=xorg
>> in ~/.profile
>
> Please consider improving x11/libxkbcommon so that it uses -Ddefault-rules=xorg

x11/libxkbcommon is also used by Wayland e.g., in x11-toolkits/gtk30.
libinput as used by Wayland doesn't support anything but evdev.
If one enabled evdev(4) on FreeBSD 11.* then Wayland may work after applying
https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/kms-drm/pull/213

> if OSVERSION notes 11.x at build time, so there would be no breakage for us building xorg from ports.

Did you mean from binary packages? If someone builds xorg-server from
ports it's probably due to non-default options. However, the ports
framework doesn't support checking ports options set in other ports
e.g., dependencies.