are there any working drivers for the i915?

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 06:21:50 UTC 2020

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 7:24 PM Chris <bsd-lists at bsdforge.com> wrote:

> I'm unable to use X and friends on 12.1-STABLE on an
> Intel based box (Sandy Bridge).
> pkg install drm-kmod
> followed by
> echo 'kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"'>>/etc/rc.conf
> on reboot results in a Fatal trap 9.
> pkg delete drm-kmod, followed by a pkg install drm-legacy-kmod
> leaving the same in rc.conf(5). Results in:
> drmn0: This code is obsolete abandonware. Install the
> graphics/drm-legacy-kmod pkg
> ermm... That's what I just did!
> Attempting to use X and friends with the legacy kmod still
> in place Results in most things crashing (dumping core on signal 11).
> Has the i915 simply been dropped. But nobody bothered
> to announce it?
>
> Thanks in advance for any possible solutions.
>
> --Chris

Please confirm that drm-fbsd12.0-kmod-4.16.g20200221 is installed. (pkg
info drm-fbsd12.0-kmod\*).  Yes, even on 12.1. Be sure that you have the
latest mesa-lib and mesa-dri. I am running it on my Sandy Bridge system
with no problems, though I am running MATE, not xfce. Be certain that
nothing is loading the old kernel module. This might possibly be in
/boot/loader.conf.
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com