glxinfo works, /compat/linux/usr/bin/glxinfo - does not

Tijl Coosemans tijl at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 17 12:11:13 UTC 2020

On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 22:51:00 -0400 "Mikhail T." <mi+t at aldan.algebra.com>
wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm trying to get an OpenGL-using (Qt5-based) Linux application off the
> ground on FreeBSD-12.1-STABLE/amd64, and it is dying early on because of
> OpenGL errors.
>
> The machine has an NVidia card, driven by the nvidia-driver-390. The
> port is compiled with the Linux option on.
>
> I also installed the x11/linux-nvidia-libs-390 port.
>
> The native glxinfo (installed by the mesa-demos port) works fine:
>
>     name of display: :0
>     display: :0  screen: 0
>     direct rendering: Yes
>     server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
>     server glx version string: 1.4
>
> and glxgears spin as fast as expected.
>
> However, the Linux glxinfo (installed by the linux-c7-glx-utils) fails with:
>
>     name of display: :0
>     X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range
>     for operation)
>        Major opcode of failed request:  154 (GLX)
>        Minor opcode of failed request:  24 (X_GLXCreateNewContext)
>        Value in failed request:  0x0
>        Serial number of failed request:  41
>        Current serial number in output stream:  42
>
> The customary Linux filesystems are mounted:
>
>     linprocfs on /compat/linux/proc (linprocfs, local)
>     fdescfs on /dev/fd (fdescfs)
>     linsysfs on /compat/linux/sys (linsysfs, local)
>
> What's wrong? Thank you! Yours,

The Linux graphics stack has switched to libglvnd while the FreeBSD
stack has not so I don't know if Linux libglvnd can figure which stack,
mesa or nvidia, it has to load.  Try deleting
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libGLX_system.so.0 or making it a symlink to
/compat/linux/usr/lib/libGLX_nvidia.so.0 or try deleting linux-c7-dri
package.