Window behavior and keystroke capture

Gary Jennejohn gljennjohn at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 08:36:32 UTC 2020

On Wed, 10 Jun 2020 12:05:45 -0500
squiggly foo <foo.squiggly at yandex.com> wrote:

> Lets say that I have two GUI applications running.  One running in
> window A and one in window B.
>
> If window A is the active window (ie I clicked on window A and am
> typing into it), then does window B see my keystrokes as I type into
> window A but just ignores them?  Or does window B not have access to
> the keystrokes at all?

It seems like this should fairly easy to test.

Start xev in window B and then make window A the active window and
enter some text.

If the keystrokes in window A also went to window B then xev would
see them and report them.

But that does not happen.

The focus is in window A and the X server is only sending keystrokes
to that window.

--
Gary Jennejohn