DRM Project report (week of July 6th)

Emmanuel Vadot manu at bidouilliste.com
Tue Jul 14 07:55:53 UTC 2020

On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 16:38:25 -0700
Pete Wright <pete at nomadlogic.org> wrote:

> On 7/10/20 2:28 PM, Emmanuel Vadot wrote:
>
> >   and after talking to upstream they would really like some FreeBSD
> > support in their CI, the ideal would be to have a gitlab-runner
> > somewhere but for now I've took the road of creating a CI compliant
> > image that have sshd allowed without root password that will work with
> > QEMU, see https://reviews.freebsd.org/D25598, we'll see how it goes but
> > I hope that it will allow us to have more CI support in freedesktop
> > projects (mesa, libdrm, xorg, wayland etc ...), don't forget that DRM
> > drivers are a bit useless without proper support for FreeBSD on
> > userland libs and program :)
>
> Thanks for these updates Manu as well as your continued development efforts!
>
> Question regarding the CI integration, do you know if there are any
> blockers that would prevent FreeBSD from using a gitlab runner to
> integrate with Xorg?

 No blockers, just time and knowledge about this stuff :)

> I've used gitlab in the past for CI integration on FreeBSD at previous
> jobs and found them pretty easy to deploy and manage.  I'm not sure if
> the project has resources for this (in terms of systems to run this on)
> but if there is a need someone to take on the gitlab runner bits I'd be
> happy to help out.

 I think that the solution here is that we (The FreeBSD Project) have
some jails somewhere that we maintain which runs gitlab-runner. I'm
pretty sure that if one external projects install a FreeBSD machine
somewhere for their CI in a few months/years the jail will be obsolete
and nobody would want to update it or setup it again.
 That's why we need to manage it ourself and plug it to the external
project gitlab, the mesa folks seems to think it was a good idea.
 Connecting a gitlab-runner running on FreeBSD isn't hard, what we need
is a good set of scripts that will setup jails for each project when
they request a build (something that can be destroyed) and then the
main jail running gitlab-runner will only have gitlab-runner + scripts
inside (ideally it would be a FreeBSD-current jail to test all prior
version of FreeBSD).

--
Emmanuel Vadot <manu at bidouilliste.com>