xfce4 does not see up arrow after reinstall/xorg update

Michael Gmelin freebsd at grem.de
Sat Feb 22 21:48:24 UTC 2020

On Sat, 22 Feb 2020 14:53:01 -0500
Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 22, 2020 at 6:47 AM Vladimir Kondratyev
> <vladimir at kondratyev.su> wrote:
>
> > On 22.02.2020 02:25, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> > > After deleting all my ports and reinstalling of them (on
> > > 2/20/2020) no application when running in a xfce4 environment
> > > recognizes/sees the up arrow.   All other arrow and cursor
> > > control keys work as expected. The up arrow keys works correctly
> > > on the console and in twm (default window manager for startx).
> >
> > Dysfunctional Up and Left arrow keys is a symptom of kbd_rules set
> > to "base" rather than "evdev".
> >
> > New Xorg sets kbd_rules to "evdev" for all evdev keyboards by
> > default. See /usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-evdev-kbd.conf
> >

> Section "InputClass"
>         Identifier              "Evdev keyboard"
>         MatchDevicePath         "/dev/input/event*"
>         MatchIsKeyboard         "on"
>         Option                  "XkbRules" "evdev"
> EndSection

Can you try this instead? It might not make a difference, but it's low
effort to test.

Section "InputClass"
  Identifier "libinput keyboard catchall"
  MatchIsKeyboard "on"
  MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
  Driver "libinput"
  Option "XkbRules" "evdev"
EndSection

And optionally add (if applicable):

Section "InputClass"
  Identifier "libinput touchpad catchall"
  MatchIsTouchpad "on"
  MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
  Driver "libinput"
  Option "MiddleEmulation" "on"
  Option "DisableWhileTyping" "off"
EndSection

> > So it looks like you have something that reverts them back to
> > "base" in your local configuration.

Michael Gmelin