Recent libX11 update broke emacs

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 17:07:38 UTC 2020

This is a weird problem and I'm uncertain if it is in libW11, x11-server,
or emacs. As a result, I'm crossposting to both lists.

Yesterday, after upgrading libX11 and x11-server, I could no longer run
Emacs to an  X display. It crashed quickly with a segmentation error in the
pthread library. Oddly, I could run it to my local xserver from a remote
system.

Rolling back the x11 server did not help nor did rolling back libX11 or
even both of them. I had to roll back libX11 first and build the server
with the old libX11. Rebuilding emacs with the new ports made no difference.

Since the old libX11 contains a very serious vulnerability, I  really hate
to leave it this way, but I also have a hard time getting anything done
without emacs. Nothing other than emacs seems to have a problem with this.

Any idea what is going on?
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com