Wayland on FreeBSD

Grzegorz Junka list1 at gjunka.com
Thu Apr 30 07:34:35 UTC 2020

On 30/04/2020 04:13, Jan Beich wrote:

>> Then I login over ssh from another computer and start a particular
>> application.
> Why not familarize yourself with Sway on a local machine before
> attempting to forward applicatons over network? Another machine
> introduces another source of potential misconfiguration.

I think the main trouble in all of this is that I don't quite get the
how it supposed to work. I know the theory behind Wayland and
differences from the X server but not sure what the practice should look
like.

For example, what you wrote above doesn't match with what I am seeing.
When I log in over SSH and start gtk3-demo it opens on the machine to
which I SSH, not the one from which I SSH. Say the desktop running Sway
I call, well, desktop, and the other computer from which I SSH I call
terminal. I start Sway on desktop then login to it from the terminal and
start gtk3-demo. It opens on the desktop, not the terminal. And I don't
forward any ports or applications over network.

Initially on the desktop I had something like this:

sway & firefox

Then firefox was briefly showing the window and dumping core, exactly
the same as it does when I start it from the terminal. Because it was
working like that with Firefox and gtk3-demo I assumed it's the standard
behavior with Wayland, even if that wouldn't have worked with X org
quite the same way.

And of course I don't need to use SSH, I just didn't have a working
terminal in Sway and attempted to workaround that using SSH.

GrzegorzJ