Wayland on FreeBSD

greg at unrelenting.technology greg at unrelenting.technology
Tue Apr 28 22:36:05 UTC 2020

April 29, 2020 1:24 AM, "Grzegorz Junka" <list1 at gjunka.com> wrote:

> Many thanks for help and the pointers.
>
> On 28/04/2020 01:33, Jan Beich wrote:
>
> % kwrite
> qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display
> qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even
> though it was found.
> This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be
> initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
>
> Available platform plugins are: bsdfb, minimal, offscreen, vnc, xcb.

You need to install the qt5-wayland package for the wayland backend to work.
(Also, I don't think Qt prefers it out of the box if the X display works.
You can set QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland or run each app with -platform wayland.)

Anyway, "could not connect to display" sounds like Xwayland is not available at all.

Is the $DISPLAY even set automatically?
What's further down in the sway log?
Packaged sway should use Xwayland out of the box, this is odd..