AMD A6-4455M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics in 50% leads to a black screen when starting X

thorsten.johannvorderbrueggen at t-online.de thorsten.johannvorderbrueggen at t-online.de
Tue Apr 28 17:55:36 UTC 2020

On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 07:07:18 +0000
Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 05:33:31PM +0200, thorsten.johannvorderbrueggen at t-online.de wrote:
> > Hi @all,
> >
> > i have a [AMD A6-4455M based] Samsung NP535U3C-A02DE Laptop and i
> > installed FreeBSD 12.1 on it ... so far so good :-) ... before that i
> > had void-linux on it ... it worked with any trouble ... especially X
> >
> > With FreeBSD i have a 50/50 chance to get a black screen at the end...
> > the sytems starts ... loader starts ... the kernel starts ... it
> > detects drm and so but then it switches the resolution to 1366x768 ...
> > this takes some time (10-15 sec)
>
> I'm having similar issues with A8-5550M, none of the drm-* ports work
> reliably on it.  It usually locks up with black screen, or even if it
> manages to load, X.Org falls back to software rendering.
>
> > [drm:r600_ring_test] radeon: ring 0 test failed (scratch(0x8504)=0xCAFEDEAD)
> > [drm:cayman_resume] cayman startup failed on resume
> > [drm:radeon_dp_link_train_cr] displayport link status failed
> > [drm:radeon_dp_link_train_cr] clock recovery failed
> > drmn0: ring 0 stalled for more than 10495msec
> > drmn0: GPU lockup (current fence id 0x0000000000000001 last fence id 0x0000000000000002 on ring 0)
> > drmn0: ring 0 stalled for more than 11026msec
>
> I believe these "stalled" lines are related to the 10-20 seconds delay
> during initialization.  Something got broken in Northern Islands cards
> support in recent years, it was definitely working two or three years
> ago (fast module loading, no crashes, hw-accelerated rendering).  I'm
> slowly bisecting and trying different versions of the DRM ports, but
> that can take months...  I have no good news or answers at this moment.
No problem ... i`m happy that someone takes care and trys to find a solution ...
At the weekend i try the 11.3 release ... and then 10.4 ... and inform you
about the result ... then we have at least a hint from where to compare to :-)

> /danfe
If i can do more, let me know ... but pls keep in mind, that the last time i used
FreeBSD was with 4.x and 5.x :-) ...

Cheers
   Thorsten

--
thorsten.johannvorderbrueggen at t-online.de <thorsten.johannvorderbrueggen at t-online.de>

--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der