GPU firmware naming and problems with loading

Alexey Dokuchaev danfe at nsu.ru
Fri Apr 24 05:43:57 UTC 2020

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 10:42:22PM +0200, Niclas Zeising wrote:
> Just want you to know I haven't forgotten about this, just not had time
> to dig that much deeper.  I don't know why it tries to load TAHITI, I'll
> try to figure more out, but in general, the firmware selection code is
> from the original source, so it should be the same elsewhere.  Does
> TAHITI load with drm-legacy-kmod (the base version uses other firmwares,
> so you can't check with that one).

I'm currently in the bisecting processing trying to figure out what had
broken in -CURRENT so drm-legacy loads (albeit it takes ~10 seconds) and
kind of works, but only in software -- OpenGL renderer string: llvmpipe
(LLVM 8.0, 128 bits).  I'll apply your verbose.diff you've sent earlier
and get more information on which firmware modules it tries to load.

> If you have the opportunity, can you check which firmwares are loaded on
> a Linux system with the same hardware?  Which firmware is loaded with
> drm-current-kmod (or drm-fbsd12.0-kmod) and drm-devel-kmod?

Marked; I'll do that and boot under Ubuntu where everything works, to
collect more data points.

> Does it work if you remove the TAHITI modules before loading the
> graphics ko?  Looks like it loads TAHITI ok though.
>
> Apologies for all the questions and none of the answers.

Nothing to apologize for, good question is often half of the answer. :-)
Thanks,

./danfe