Possible issue with current and 12-STABLE locking up when DRM started

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 23:08:44 UTC 2020

I have seen multiple reports of systems locking up with a blank screen when
starting X or when booting. I may have found a clue... or maybe it's not
related.

Back on April 2, Hans committed r359727 which was MFCed to 12-STABLE on
April 15 as r359957. This modified locking on the linux KPI. With that
update, I can no longer get DRM to run. Since I use startx to run X, I see
this as a blank screen when the console is transitioned from vga to fb.

I opened 245837 as a kernel issue, but it is also possible that it exposed
some race issue in the DRM code. It contains what few details I have
available.
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com