drm-i915kms + x11-intel eats out all of the ram and swap but not with x11-scfb

Niclas Zeising zeising+freebsd at daemonic.se
Sat Apr 18 06:59:47 UTC 2020

On 2020-04-18 05:58, Pete Wright wrote:

> On 4/17/20 7:49 PM, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 07:01:49PM +0200, Jan Beich wrote:
>>> Unlikely. modesetting reached "good enough" level while X11 is
>>> deprecated in favor of Wayland.
>> X11 is certainly not going anywhere as it mostly works just fine and no
>> replacement is needed.  You guys can play with Wayland or whatever the
>> next cool kid on the block is called as long as you wish but please let
>> it be your pain, not ours.
>>
>> Deprecating X11, huh.  That's preposterous!
> You should let the Xorg development team know your opinions on this
> topic.  the freebsd graphics team is trying to make sure that when
> upstream does make the cut over to wayland we are not left totally out.
>
> i would also say that *now* (well probably several years ago) is the
> time for us as a community to get engaged with wayland development.
> there are already lots of linux and systemd assumptions being made by
> their development efforts, so this is our opportunity to make sure our
> voices are heard before it's too late.

The Freedesktop.org upstream (the ones responsible for xorg and wayland)
are aware of us, and quite helpful in getting FreeBSD specific code in,
so I'm not too worried there (as long as we bring the code, at least).
I'm more worried about the people making various wayland compositors and
wayland desktop environments though.

> personally my biggest worry is that wayland going to end up being even
> more tightly coupled with logind/systemd and we'll be left with the
> choice of no modern graphics stack or having to adopt systemd in some
> way.  i'd hazard a guess that this is a situation that none of us would
> be too happy with.

With regards to logind/systemd, what we need to provide is most likely a
session manager of some sort, or at least an interface to FreeBSD
session handling, where it is possible to plug in such a thing.

Regards
--
Niclas